Tuesday, August 16, 2011

It Was a Dark and Stormy Night

    As a child I had more irrational fears than most children. Along with spiders, clowns and trying new foods I was afraid in the middle of the night someone would sneak into my room and kidnap me. I mean seriously afraid. My parents assured me they were right down the hallway if I screamed they would come. That kind of thing rarely happens anyway. Eventually I grew out of the fear that prevented me from sleepovers at friend's houses.
 
  Last night my fear returned. I was getting ready for bed and had the feeling that I should close my window. And last night I really was going to close it myself, but I just forgot. 

     Nicely snuggled into bed, my white curtains billowed a bit to remind me the window had still not been shut. I was far too comfortable to be paranoid by then so I just let it stay open.

    Well wouldn't you just know it. It was a dark and stormy night. Usually that kind of thing doesn't wake me up. But this night was different. I woke up suddenly and could hear the pounding of rain from my open window. The bed began to shake. I was a little frightened and disoriented since I had just been woken  up. All of a sudden something large landed on my bed that came from the window. I Screamed and turned to look at what had joined me. A large, dark figure was standing on my bed shaking the entire thing. Never have I been so scared. Just as I was about to attack in self defense,the intruder began panting and was shaking more than ever. And it didn't seem to be approaching me any further. Letting my eyes adjust a bit more I realized that the black body was far too small to be human. I suppose the dark and stormy night had produced thunder which my dog had found just too much to handle in her bed, alone on the floor. 


       Much more at ease I fell back on my pillow with just one more matter troubling my mind. All those years my parents assured me they were just down the hallway, where were they then?

1 comment:

  1. HaHa! Loved this post. It made me giggle out loud, especially the last sentence. Glad no one was trying to kidnap you ;) I used to be afraid of coyotes under my bed, so I'm pretty sure the dog would've still freaked me out!!

    ReplyDelete