Friday, October 28, 2011

It Is Better To Look Up...And Out



It was mid week and I was fried. My brain was done, my body was exhausted and exams were lying before me for miles. Still, as I sat on the bus ride home I buried my head in my books to cram what I could in the limited space left up there. I fought with myself to stay focused and while I did I could feel the stress rising. I took a moment to just breath. Then looked across the isle from me at a girl. She was staring intently out the window. We were driving across the high level bridge, passing over the river valley. It was gorgeous. The sun was low in the sky and casting a golden light over everything. You could see the yellow of the trees interspersed with deep greens all reflecting back on the river. Passing by pillars rays of sun would burst through the windows and you could feel the warmth of autumn sunshine on your face.

Looking out everything in the world seemed right. Turning my gaze to everyone else on the bus everyone looked how I did just minutes before. Consumed in themselves, and the narrow dirty space we were squeezed into. Not taking a glance out the window or realizing the scenes that were passing by. I'm sure we've all been stuck in places like that in our lives. Times when it seems this is all there is to life. Sometimes we don't even realize all the good and wonderful things that are going on around us or the beauty that is ever present. I thought how every time I seem to overcome some obstacle or challenge another one is waiting for me at the bend in the road. It seems only small moments when my life is carefree joy. But isn't that life? I tried to imagine life without any challenges and how boring that must be! My greatest inspiration has come from those who have overcome huge struggles. Realizing how much growth has come from failing, the satisfaction I get from mastering something hard or how when the world gangs up on you then the small joys and victories are magnified and become diamonds in the rough, I don't think I would trade all my troubles for a carefree life.
 In general conference this past month a story was told about President Monson. He said to a man who had his gaze set on the floor "It is better to look up." And you know what? The view is even better if you look out.

2 comments: