Friday, June 10, 2011

I Have a Dream


        
         I'm not one to have big dreams. I mean I have goals like having a family and finishing my education. but I've never been the type to fantasize about touring foreign countries, living an extravagant life-style or altering the world in some large way. I just want to be happy. But for once I had a dream. It started 2 years ago when I job shadowed a sonographer technician and I knew what career path I wanted to follow. It was a rough beginning because I had to catch up on classes I hadn't needed before. having to take physics courses online and in nightschool while still taking on a full academic course load, working part-time and all the responsibility of 3 church callings almost broke and cracked me in places for sure. Sometimes I didn't have the support I wanted from everyone. Some of my friends told me I was better than an ultrasound tech and I felt looked down on for setting my sights supposedly below my potential. Not getting in the first year didn't encourage any positive sentiments of my abilities. Still, because I am so stubborn when it comes to my personal achievements, I made every possible effort to attain my dream. I moved away from my family, I re-applied, I cried and I waited. I studied, I was interviewed, I stressed and I waited. The odds were stacked with 66% failure rate AFTER being shortlisted. 



         One rainy tuesday morning my phone vibrated. of course not having caller ID I picked up expecting it to be my mom (who else do I talk to, really?). The unfamiliar voice asked for Naomi. And then proceeded to offer me my dream. All I heard was "we would like to give you a seat in the Diagnostic Medical Imaging program 
for Sonography." She didn't tell me to sit down like they do in the movies when they give you big news! 



What I found most intriguing about this was I didn't feel that great relief or excitement or overwhelming joy that I was expecting for 2 years. I think I felt more relief when I finished my Physics night course, and more excitement when I got a B in Calculus and the most overwhelming joy when I got an interview for the program. I had my triumphs all along the way and the acceptance letter was just the ribbon that tied the package together. The victory wasn't a phone call. It was the late nights I finished my homework and went to bed without a congratulatory pat on the back. 
The "big" things in life were all accomplished by day to day small tasks. The little things are the big things.



4 comments:

  1. Naomi, I LOVED this post. That is all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. I am so proud of you and all of your hard work. It is the small things, and the big things that we do to reach our goals that get us there in the end. Sometimes it seems hard and that nothing will ever get accomplished, but in the end we can take a big sigh of relief to know that we finally got there.
    This is the start of something new and exciting! It will be a whole new struggle. I know there will be more tears, and waiting. but for a NEW reason. So excited for you. and i KNOW you will do great. If you ever doubt it- just give me a call!
    -Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard to believe someone so articulate is related to me! Your blog brings to mind one of Pres Hinckley's favorite quotes: “Life is like an old-time rail journey—delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride.” Jenkins Lloyd Jones

    ReplyDelete
  4. This brings tears to my eyes and a warm feeling in my heart!! I love you!

    ReplyDelete