Sunday, March 10, 2013

Over the River and Through the Woods


   Reading week was so wonderful. I spent it with my grandma on her ranch. The first thing we did was leave the city. Living in Edmonton I forget why all my life I've wanted to come to Alberta. But when I drive just out of the city limits I remember; Alberta is beautiful. It doesn't matter where you're from or where you're going, the open arms of the land embrace you, no questions asked. It just feels like home.


  After a few hours of driving we came to a little dirt road. Where it stops, wonderful things begin. At the end of that dirt road is the sweetest log house tucked in amongst the trees. Grandma literally lives over the river and through the woods.


Out here there's no such thing as cell reception and WiFi. Just rivers and mountains and forest. When you listen you can't hear cars or people. Most of the time you hear nothing. Think about the last time you really heard the sound of nothing. It's rare. When something does make it's way to your ears it's the sound of wind and birds and leaves. And it's lovely. You don't smell exhaust or the nasty smell in Edmonton that makes it way up from dark and dingy places. It smells like earth and water and trees. When we did laundry we hung our clothes in the open air. There's a reason they have a market for detergents that claim 'country fresh'. Nothing smells quite like wind dried clothes.
      At night there's no smog or lights to cloud your view. A full sky stretches above you and stars you didn't even know existed. And each one of them twinkle. Actually twinkle. It felt like getting a new prescription for glasses and seeing the world with sharper sight. The moon reflects off the snow and scatters blue light that dusts the wintry scene until it glows. When the sun goes down here even adults believe in magic.

    Grandma makes good old fashioned, hearty meals that feed your body. In the morning I wake up to Bacon, eggs, pancakes and toast. Sunday dinners are amazing. And her home made bread is a cure for pretty well anything. And I love it. But something about living out here nourishes your soul. It cleans the cobwebbed corners and airs the musty rooms. It makes you realize how amazing it is just to live. You're reminded that existence itself is a miracle. I wish I could bottle it up and take it home with me. But because I can't I guess I'll have to just keep going back for more :)

1 comment: