Monday, December 27, 2010

Spirit of Christmas

Most every Christmas there comes a time during the day where I feel sad and overwhelmed. For months this day has been anticipated and soon it will all be over. All the decorations will be taken down, carols will cease to be sung and that unmistakable feeling of Christmas will be packed away for another 12 months. This year I experienced a different sort of feeling.

       After spending months away from my family I was ecstatic to be coming home. In the days that preceded Christmas I noticed things that, I guess before, I took for granted, like the endless hours my mother spent in the kitchen, the work she put into making the house look good and her attention to the happiness of her family. Who knew father went through so much to find perfect gifts for his kids and slaved over gingerbread to make an intricate house. The biggest thing I missed seeing was how richly blessed I am to have the family I do. Who knew I would ever be so happy to see my little brother's socks lying on the ground or spend time washing dishes with my older brothers. 
   When I packed my suitcase for home I forgot entirely that I was bringing home presents. My mind was focused elsewhere. I had so many sleepless nights thinking of surprising my Dad in the morning when he didn't know I'd arrived. Or making Christmas goodies with my Mom, being able to sing hymns and play music with my brothers.  The season seemed was carried away in day dreams. Dreams of spending time with my family and friends, seeing the people that mattered most to me who had been so far away for so long.
Christmas eve finally arrived and the family gathered around to read Luke's account of Christ's birth and thoughts of other important people filled my head
 
    This year I was impressed with a deeper appreciation for the coming of Jesus Christ. For the sacrifice of his life and the miracle of his resurrection.  Because of his perfect atonement I have my family forever. So even when I spend most of the year thousands of miles away from my family I still have the rest of eternity to look forward to. It just took me moving away from home to really realize the miracle of that gift.

4 comments:

  1. I have had similar thoughts. On the way to my uncles christmas eve party, I was listening to my siblings argue and pester each other, my parents discussing the plans for the next few days, and all I could think about was the fact that they are mine, and I have the opportunity to be with them for ever and be part of one big eternal family. And all of this because of our Saviour.
    Merry Christmas!
    (Im so glad you started a blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll never forget my first Christmas where I had many of those same thoughts and emotions. A $900 flight from Calgary to Nanaimo and a $50 taxi from Nanaimo to Cowichan Bay but what a priceless moment and feeling it was to see the looks of surprise on my families faces when I walked through the door. I realized at that moment just how much my family meant to me, so happy I was to be surrounded by them and so grateful for our Saviour. A fantastaic 'growing up' experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes your children completely blow you away, and I wonder why I am so blessed to be their mother. Here's another one of those moments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree with you more. Although I fully enjoyed trotting around Germany for the holidays, it wasn't home. I never realized how much I missed my family until I wasn't at home for Christmas for the first time ever. And even when I returned to my family and home in France, I still knew I wasn't truely home. It's true; you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.
    I am definitely more thankful than ever for the family I have. Nobody and no place can replace my family and home.
    Or my friends.
    When am I going to see you again? Probably when I'm back in the country eh?
    xoxox
    Anna-Lilja
    laviededawsome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete